Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Google
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Banner design by Helena, portrait by Eva

VisitSeoul.net

Government Website. READ MY REVIEWS! SEE MY PHOTOS! WHY SEOUL?

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The inevitable Cell Phone

I'm not a fan of cell phones but the school talked me into buying one yesterday. I would have refused, told them to e-mail me or, at best, that I'd get a home line so I could call Canada. I've morphed into strange looking ice sculptures, in outdoor phone booths. But, I missed a meeting a while back and feel guilty about it. The phone is my apology.

I had a short-lived relationship with a cell phone in Canada. Friends expect to be able to reach you whenever they want. You lose something when you carry a tracking device; the moment can be swallowed by an unwanted call.

In class, a student told me about cell phone buckets. All Korean children over the age of 10 have a cell phone. It's like asking them if they own shoes. At the beginning of the school day they drop their phones into a bucket, and pick them up after their last class. This way, they aren't tempted to text message or play a game during a lecture.

I wish my hogwon had a cell phone bucket. I'd conveniently forget it. "Oh no, that's not mine."

No comments: