Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Google
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Banner design by Helena, portrait by Eva

VisitSeoul.net

Government Website. READ MY REVIEWS! SEE MY PHOTOS! WHY SEOUL?

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Kids in Korea

Cell phones are toys. This girl even has a pink, plush holder for hers:
"The statistics office says that teenagers between the age of 15 and 19 send more than 60 text messages every day - almost four times as many as the national average of 16.9. They also spend 14 hours a week on the computer while 20- to 24-year-olds spend 19 hours." - The Korean Herald, May 3 /07

They write revealing stories like this one. Eraser hates Pencil because she is different, and dirty. But when Pencil writes Eraser a love letter, he falls for her. "Even though she misspells the words, the letter is beautiful." They move into a pencil case together and are happy. But in the end, Eraser's Mom and Dad say, "her body is dirty. We don't like her." Then their love is over.

They come to class with English print on their clothing, and are confused when I say it doesn't mean anything.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the giraffe. It makes sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your blog, Eva. I read it every day when I'm supposed to be doing work... and I think that's proof that your blog is a success. :)
And I've been meaning to ask you a question: do you get the sense that young kids in Korea are pressured to go to American ivy-league schools (when they're older)? I ask, because often, when I go the Yale library, there is Korean tour-bus parked outside and large groups of young Korean kids getting tours of the library & campus. Most of them don't look more than 12 years old! I always find this sort of thing fascinating...

Anonymous said...

haha I LOL-ed at the last picture and statement! Aww
N