Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Google
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Banner design by Helena, portrait by Eva

VisitSeoul.net

Government Website. READ MY REVIEWS! SEE MY PHOTOS! WHY SEOUL?

Sunday, February 04, 2007

Recycling in Korea

Korea takes recycling very seriously. You will never get a carrier bag without a.) asking for it and b.) paying 50-100 won: approximately 5-10 cents. When I take out a coffee, I pay a 50 won fee for the cup.

South Korea, with a population of 48,846,823 (July 2006 est.), has a real landfill problem.

I pay a $30 monthly maintenance fee at my building, and on Sundays my landlady opens our bags of garbage and separates the recyclables. They are picked up by men pushing carts called "like-cars", in Hangul. Min laughed when he told me the direct translation.

The material is transported to a depot in the city. In 2003, close to three-quarters of all South Korean waste was recycled. Not bad.

No comments: